Friday, August 3, 2007

Vitamins

I start my day with juice and vitamins purportedly for "medical" reasons, because of a book I read a couple of years ago on "improving one's memory" (really, preventing Alzheimer's) by an author claiming to be a doctor. Given that any internal sense of mental clarity that I derive from this (mostly) daily procedure could almost certainly be equally well produced by taking placebo pills, I have to regard my ritual as a kind of superstition, a desire for "effects at a distance" without a need for definitive scientific truth. So then why do I make fun of Jenny's interest in homeopathic medicines? Only because I read a story in Science News indicating no measurable effects of same, while I haven't read the comparable story on "Neuro-Optimizer" pills or Acetyl L-Carnitine in that journal...

No comments:

Post a Comment